Your Guide to a Good Year of Dance

Hannah Kitson, Staff Writer

We all are getting used to this new teacher, Ms. Stampolis, and this new course, in general, Dance!

Let’s learn a little about how dance will work. To do this we had to learn from the dance teacher herself. I emailed Ms. Stampolis to ask her some questions and here’s what she answered:

She said that she’s been working as a dance teacher for over seven years. She says that she likes to teach children how to dance in ways they have not yet experienced and get them out of their comfort zone. So if Ms. Stampolis tells you to try something other than “the dab” or “the whip and nae-nae” then know that she isn’t trying to crash your party.

If you are coming into dance thinking you’re going to learn how to dance with her leading, then try again because ultimately you’re going to be the one in charge. Ms. Stampolis wants the students to create the pieces we will be performing and working on in class. Seventh graders this week have been working on choreographing a dance that expresses the wind. That is an example of what she wants to be focusing on for most of the year.

Speaking of what 7th graders are doing, let’s talk about the similarities among her courses for 6th, 7th and 8th graders. In the coming years what we do in dance class for the different grades will be different, but this year Ms. Stampolis wants to make sure there is a base to work with for future 6th and 7th graders, but for the 8th graders the dance they will be doing in class will be different in many ways from the 6th and 7th graders’ work because this is their last year in Mott Hall 2.

I asked her if there was anything else the students of Mott Hall 2 should know. “I want the scholars at Mott Hall II to know that I am super excited to be building this program with them. I can’t wait to see all the talent and creativity everyone has to share. Unfortunately, each class only has dance once a week, so be sure to bring your a-game and let’s dance,” said Ms. Stampolis.

I hope this helped you learn a little about what dance at Mott Hall II is all about. Of course if you have any questions for Ms.Stampolis, you can find her in Room 416 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Your Guide to a Good Year of Dance