Students Participate in Model UN Conference

Model UN Club members gather early Friday morning  before the start of the conference.

Model UN Club members gather early Friday morning before the start of the conference.

Photo Credit: Ms. Whitted

Photo Credit: Ms. Whitted

Griffin Must, co-head of newspaper

Mott Hall ll Attends the Annual United Nations Conference

On Friday, April 1 and Saturday, April 2, the Mott Hall ll Model UN team was one of many schools from around the world that participated in the Global Classrooms International Model UN Conference at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in New York City. The 12 Mott Hall II students represented either the country of Chad or Côte d’Ivoire (also known as Ivory Coast). They debated topics such as child labor laws, the militarization of space, the rights of migrant workers and many more.

Prepping for the Big Event

Led by 8th grade ELA teacher, Ms. Julien-Ndjiki, the club started in October and met every Wednesday afternoon. During that time, the team debated topics of global interest and chose countries to represent. After debating different topics the group created resolution papers and convinced members of the team in a simulated debate. When the topics for the conference were released, the club members researched and wrote position papers on how their respective country feels about the topic.

Up, Close, and Personal at the Conference

The group then created a pre-resolution of how to solve the problem. In early April the club headed to the conference at the Grand Hyatt Hotel where they debated for two days. On the last day they went to the United Nations for the closing ceremony and sat in the same seats where the real United Nations ambassadors sit.

Student and Teacher Reactions

Eighth grader Hannah Levey, who participated in the conference for the second consecutive year, said, “a simulation that not only gives scholars the opportunity to express their business and communication skills but to allow a chance to meet bright beings from all around the world.” Added 8th grader Sam Drager, “It was a great opportunity to learn about the way our world functions.” Said Ms. Julien-Ndjiki, “The MUN conference is a second to none experience as it exposes scholars to world issues that are not limited to a discussion involving a few voices but allows the next generation of international leaders in training to shape and hone their views.”

Come Join the Model UN Fun

It was a great conference and everyone did so well, we can’t wait to bring home some awards as we have done in the past. I hope you all are inspired to join the club next year and be a part of the fun.

• Students Participate in Model UN Conference

Mott Hall 2 News

Teacher Feature: Ms. Buturovic

Arts & Style

Four Top Places To Go For Lunch (That You Might Not Know About)

• Arts & Style

Your Guide to a Good Year of Dance

Arts & Style

Review: Warriors By Erin Hunter

Arts & Style

2016 New York Fashion Week

National/World

In emotional send-off, POTUS presents VP Joe Biden with Medal of Freedom

Cartoons

Greener on the Other Side

Mott Hall 2 News

Teacher Feature: Ms. Buturovic

Sports

Boys Basketball Wins Season Opener

Arts & Style